GM CS2 Approved Provider
Don’t Hesitate if You have Received a CS2 Letter!
Have you received formal notification of Controlled Shipping Level 2?
If your customer has determined that your current quality control is no longer sufficient and escalated restrictions into CS2 you must now adhere to stringent requirements to escape. Phoenix Quality supports your Exit Campaign.
Customer Driven Sorts
Suppliers must act promptly following CS2 notification to engage with a third-party sorting supplier. Phoenix Quality will support your team to resolve containment operations swiftly.
Important Requirements of CS2:
- Suppliers have 24 hours to enter into a contract with a GM CS2 Containment Approved Provider.
- Third-party inspection services are required to sort for a specific nonconformance.
- Root cause problem processes must be implemented
- 3rd Party or Customer Representative audits and data is a critical measurement of the effectiveness of inspection processes and corrective actions taken
- The CS2 Kick-off meeting determines the supplier’s containment processes, control of nonconformance, boundary samples and exit criteria
- Customer verification of processes and documentation are necessary for suppliers to request exit from controlled shipping
GM CS2 Key Deliverables:
Phoenix Quality will ensure CS2 key deliverables:
- Certified Material to Assembly Plant
- Problem solving capability to establish root cause
- I-Chart (GM 1927-66) to demonstrate product quality conformance (nonconforming vs. quantity checked by a 3rd party)
- Documented and verified irreversible corrective actions and additional controls to prevent future recurrences
- Revised Control Plans, PFMEA, Flow Diagram, Operator Instructions as required
- Approved Drill Deep Worksheet and Read Across (GM 1927-84 and GM 1927-69)
Phoenix Quality Senior Quality Engineers will establish robust processes in the Entry/Implementation phase of CS2, implement problem-solving methodologies and identify resulting corrective action plans. We work shoulder to shoulder with production line workers to identify defects and improve process control. When a quality or production team lacks resources or experience for the time-sensitive and strict compliance activities to exit controlled shipping, our team will provide the necessary assistance to resolve non-conforming discrepancies.
Third-party Containment Services
Phoenix Quality will expedite third-party CS2 requirements to commence onsite sorting and process control for crisis management including:
- Implement CS2 based on the requirements defined on the entry letter and confirmed by the SQE during the kick-off meeting
- Notify additional GM facilities that use the same part, inform them of the nonconformance, and provide containment activities as necessary
- Track breakpoints of nonconforming material. (Purge pipeline of suspect material, i.e. at Customer’s facility, in transit and at all storage locations.)
Entry / Implementation Phase
- Commence the sort activities and display the results in a public and visible location.
- Perform an additional redundant inspection of all suspect non-conforming products per the agreed upon process to ensure defect free parts are delivered to Customer.
- Reviews the Supplier’s process and quality history and completes the Assessment.
- Submit irreversible corrective action plans to the ISO/TS16949 registrar for review and/or assessment and authorizes ISO/TS16949 registrar to submit the review and/or assessment findings to the Customer.
Additional Support & Resolution Participation:
Phoenix Quality can support your quality and operations teams to escape containment at the level of participation you need for fast and discrete resolution. Our quality engineers work closely with your team to aid or complete any of the following activities:
CS 2 kick-off meeting (via conference call or onsite meeting) with the Supplier’s Quality Manager and Plant Manager to: Review the non-conformance that resulted in the CS2 entry.
- Review and approve the supplier’s containment process which includes:
- Control of non-conforming product
- Lay out and inspection equipment
- Review and approve the CS 2 Third Party’s containment process which includes:
- Data collection utilizing an I-chart.
- Communication back to Customer (including frequency).
- Inspection instructions
- Material identification after inspection
- Review and approve the supplier’s escalation/reaction plan for the containment activity.
- Establish boundary samples (if applicable) and/or specifications for acceptance/rejection of the parts
Problem solve, audit, process control and improvement:
- Determine and demonstrate the root cause to the Customer SQE.
- Develop, implement and validate the permanent corrective actions, along with improved process controls (i.e., error proofing, layered audits, setup checklists, standardized work, operator training and certification program, etc.) and update all the applicable documents like PFMEA, PFD, etc.
Exit Criteria Verification:
Meet the defined exit criteria with the required documentation and verification. Once nonconformance is eliminated and corrective action has resolved root cause issues, Phoenix Quality can support your team in preparing the documentation and verify exit criteria including the following:
- Establish exit criteria for the CS2. Default criteria as follows:
- 20 consecutive working days of data (from the date of implementation of permanent corrective action) which verifies that the normal production controls are effective for controlling the discrepancies identified in the Controlled Shipping activity.
- Documentation showing the root cause was identified and verified.
- Documentation indicating that corrective action was implemented and validated.
- Copies of all documentation revised as required (Control plan, PFMEA’s, Process Flow, operator instructions, etc.)
- Documentation indicating that every effort was taken to implement error proofing.
- Documented evidence Drill Deep Worksheet and Read Across completed to close PRR
Ongoing containment breaks will continue to diminish profits with required third-party inspection services or worse still – customers may seek to discontinue the contract. The stakes are high. Ensure that you have a team working in service of an expeditious conclusion.
Hurry, Start Your CS2 Exit Campaign
Request Pricing Now!
Use the Form Below
Request Immediate CS2 Support
Start your CS2 resolution campaign with a Quote.
Controlled Shipping FAQs
What is Controlled Shipping?
What is CS1 (Controlled Shipping – Level 1)?
The second step of CS1 is to identify the root cause of the defect and incorporate irreversible corrective actions. The third step of CS1 is to verify via the above inspection process that the corrective actions are effective.
What is CS2 (Controlled Shipping – Level 2)?
In CS2 the supplier is required to continue their in-house inspections as in CS1 and add an additional redundant inspection process performed by a third party inspection and sorting company. This third party is often selected by the supplier, but usually has to be approved by the customer.
Phoenix Quality is a GM CS2 containment approved provider for North America and a Ford Containment approved provider.
The root cause analysis and irrevocable corrective actions begun in CS1 must be continued or redone until they are effective as verified by the data reported from the redundant inspection processes.
Quality Inspection and Audit Management Software – E-Data Now